This is it: We’re in the final countdown to apply to become a 2013 Knight-Mozilla fellow.
Our current Knight-Mozilla Fellows spent last week talking about how many incredible trips they’ve taken, how many people they’ve met, how many cool things they’ve built, and how much fun they’ve had. And some of our 2013 News Partners have explained why they’re involved in the program and what they’re hoping to build with their Fellows in 2013.
But today, I want to talk about something less exciting, but crucial: The Knight-Mozilla Fellowship benefits package. Your 10 months as a Knight-Mozilla Fellow offers good compensation as well as a comprehensive collection of supplimental benefits that range from help with housing costs to money for equipment and research purchases.
The full host of suppliments are detailed on our benefits page, but I wanted to outline some of them here as well:
- Housing and Moving: If you’re moving across the globe for a Fellowship, know that we have your back: We offer up to $4000 to help you move to the country your newsroom host is in, and suppliments to help cover your housing (ranging from $500 a month for a single fellow to $1000 a month for a fellow with three or more children).
- Healthcare: We don’t want you to get sick during your time as a Fellow, but if you do, we help to cover your health insurance costs, from $3500 for single fellows to $7000 for a family.
- Childcare: I’ve mentioned children and families in the last two items, and that’s because we believe that a Fellowship can be an amazing experience for everyone, and want to help defer the childcare costs that may arise, offering suppliments that range from $5600 to $7200, with additional suppliemnts for infants.
- Equipment: We want our Fellows to have up-to-date technology, and so we offer $3000 for equipment purchases (it can also be used for research costs).
- Travel: Starting with the Mozilla Festival in London, where we’ll announce the 2013 Fellows, we cover all costs for our fellows to travel to conferences, hack events, and opportunities to collaborate together. We even help you book your travel!
Add to all of these suppliments the $60,000 stipend each Fellow recieves for their 10 month Fellowship, and you’ll see that the Knight-Mozilla Fellowships package—like the experience itself—is pretty amazing.
There are only three days to apply to join the program in 2013. The application is quick, but if you wait just a few days you’ll miss out. So apply now.
Don’t sleep on this great opportunity!